Wednesday, October 12, 2011

RAIN RAIN GO AWAY!!


Right as of now, my thoughts are not focusing on liberation theology or women’s theology or any sort of –ology. They are concentrating on the sound of rain outside my window, the news article I just read that talked of 19 Central American people who have already died in landslides due to the heavy rains. As I sit here, dry and safe using my laptop, I am thinking about the cold and crude facts of privilege. I guess one could say the cold and crude parts are the struggles that the disadvantaged live with, but the “privilege” of hearing the rainfall, being dry, and knowing that there are many people right now who are at a great risk of losing all they own because of that intense rain that has gone beyond the simple pitter patter….to any person with a heart is awfully hard to handle. 

It reminds me a segment of our group reflection tonight where we talked about the privilege of being able to escape suffering. This came to mind as I was thinking about my dry warmness in the room at our house here in El Salvador.

Some might argue that this easy escape from suffering brings us away from the visceral connections human beings have when we are together in our struggle. Personally, I might agree with that. To me it seems that the more we tend to have in material possessions and money, the more cushioned we are to the experiences of the poor. It is the lack of that metaphorical cushion that forces people to work together, or to at least understand their mutual suffering. I’m not advocating that we all become awash in suffering, but maybe there is a lesson in figuring out how to alleviate suffering of ourselves or others without disconnecting so much from each other.   

Perhaps, if we as a human race were more able to do this we’d of figured out better evacuation plans to prevent deaths of the poor when floods occur or maybe helped create stronger structures that would not be so easily destroyed in the rain. I’m really not sure. Floods are far from uncommon in Central America during this time of year which is their rainy season. However, forget about them quickly in the "first" world, because they do not really have a personal or immediate effect on us. We hear about the tragedies or natural disasters, but we can escape them by changing the channel, putting the paper down, or switching our tab back to email or facebook. We have that privilege. I am by no means excluding myself from this category, but it still is rather disturbing when you think about it. 

By the way, the rain has slowed... for the time being anyway.
In other rainy news, all 11 zones of Xela are having flooding issues. I really hope my host family is alright. As well as all the people in Cantel... yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment